"ANCIENT AND MODERN"
SLAMCD 332 BARCODE 5028386711124
GEORGE HASLAM, BARITONE AND ALTO SAXES, TAROGATO.
STEVE COHN, PIANO, SHAKUHACHI, HICHIRIKI, SHOFAR.
STEVE KERSHAW, DOUBLE BASS.
"Fantastic album. Donít miss it." Ken Cheetham
Summer 2018, Steve Cohn is planning to travel from home in New Jersey to London to appear in the World Shakuhachi Festival. Through the offices of SLAM he contacts George Haslam with a view to meeting for coffee etc. ~ the plan eventually developed into a gig with bassist Steve Kershaw in the beautiful All Saints Church in rural Oxfordshire. The churchyard is the burial place of George Orwell Ė hence the ĎOrwellís Bluesí reference.
The music programme attempted to trace influences from folk songs, blues and free improvisation. The trio met for the first time at the church Ė Steve C arrived in UK the day before; Steve K returned home from holiday also the day before and, as he had a lunchtime gig on the day of the concert, was not able to meet Steve C before it was time to take the stage. Everything that had to be said was in the music.
Steve (Cohn) took the opportunity to record the concert, hence the production of this CD.
- Scarborough Fair 5:41 (Traditional)
- Orwell's Blues 3:24 (Steve Cohn)
- Walking in an English Garden 5:33 (Cohn/Kershaw)
- Blue Monk 6:33 (Thelonious Monk)
- Nostalgia in Times Square 7:43 (Charles Mingus)
- Baritone Happiness 13:18 (Cohn/Haslam/Kershaw)
- Dog Blue 2:20 (Cohn/Kershaw)
- Tarogato Fire 12:45 (Cohn/Haslam/Kershaw)
- Nepal meets Hum Hum Drum Drum 7:09 (Steve Cohn)
Also available through all digital outlets, including:
Amazon MP3: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Modern-George-Haslam-Kershaw/dp/B07TVQJQTR